1 8-ounce package cracked freekeh (approx 1 cup)
2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
4-6 sweet peppers, sliced in half and seeds removed
1 15-ounce can Aduki beans, or pinto beans
1 12-ounce jar of your favorite salsa
2 tbsp tomato paste
6-8 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 small onion, diced
2 limes, juiced
1/2 bunch of fresh cilantro
1 1/2 cups corn, fresh or frozen, thawed
2 cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- To prepare the peppers add about 2 inches of water to a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add in the sweet peppers. Cover and cook for about 4-5 minutes until they’re slightly soft. Remove peppers from pot and set aside to cool.
- To prepare the stuffing pour 2 1/2 cups water and the freekeh in a saucepan and bring to a boil for about a minute. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in tomato paste, onion and garlic. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes until the freekeh is tender. In a large bowl, add freekeh and all ingredients except the steamed peppers, stir and set aside.
- To stuff the peppers place the peppers in a 9 x 12 casserole dish. With a large spoon, carefully fill the peppers. The contents can come up above the edge of the pepper.
- Pour about 1/4 inch of water in the dish and place in preheated oven. Cook for about 30 minutes. For added flavor, sprinkle grated low-fat pepper jack cheese on top of the peppers after 20 minutes and continue to cook 10 minutes more.
- Let cool slightly and enjoy.