6 tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup pine nuts
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup natural cane sugar
½ tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp cornstarch
¼ cup natural cane sugar
1 lb strawberries, hulled and cut into quarters
1 lb rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat oven to 375*F. Use 1 Tbsp butter to grease a 9×9-inch square baking pan. Melt remaining 1/3 cup butter.
- Combine flour, pine nuts, oats, sugar, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Mix in the butter using a fork. Using your hands, mash crumble topping into a couple fistfuls of batter. Return to bowl and place in the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- While crumble topping chills, make the filling. Whisk together corn starch and sugar in a large bowl. Add strawberries, rhubarb, and 1/8 cup water. Toss until evenly coated.
- Pour filling into baking dish. Remove topping from freezer and crumble on top of filling making sure you have both large and small sized crumbles to cover the filling.
- Bake on center rack for 40 minutes or until topping is golden brown and fruit is bubbling.
- Cook for 20 minutes before serving.